Making Money Writing Online


 This is a whole new world we live in, isn't it? The accessibility to the internet is greater and easier than ever before. The possibilities are seemingly boundless and are re-shaping individual lives and societies on a whole. In what way are we being changed though, and is it for the better? I want to give you insight on some methods of making money through writing online. Ultimately though, I want to give you the right perspective dealing with this venture.
As part of the X generation I should be more versed in the tech side of the web, but I'm not. Really, I'm like an old man in a younger body. Having access to the internet and a working computer is fairly new to me. You may relate to this, or not, but first impressions can be profound.
Fifteen years ago I wanted to become a writer, so I wrote and wrote. I never did anything much with it, but the desire has always been there to create. If you like to write you may have found, like me, all these sites here on the net which give you a forum and even pay you for it. Isn't that awesome! Yes, this can really get the old wheels turning upstairs, thinking about how to quit the day job and become a seasoned pro. This naive ambition can lead to disappointment if not careful.
For many of us we are just trying to get by, working jobs in the service industry. We don't have much money saved up and likely have someone to support, like a family. The time required to learn all the ins and outs of making money online can be so consuming; you'll neglect other aspects of your life. The internet can be a dangerous distraction from the ones you love, and even house repairs.
So first of all, don't proceed with blind ambition thinking you will beat the system and make enough money to support your family in a month. The likely-hood of a beginner to the internet making money is more of a slow progressive achievement. More like six months before seeing a significant amount of money with hard work. For some people who are single and don't have to work much outside of their efforts online, this can really be great.
Mostly I'm talking to writers cause that's what I am. Those who are highly competent with computers and digital media have a big advantage making money. I'm talking to people who aren't professional journalists or writers, yet love to write and express themselves through words. I want to share a few sites that are good places to start off and tell you a bit about them.
If you like the idea of citizen journalism and want to report news then check out: 
- Allvoices.com
- Digital Journal.com
- Newsvine.com
- Infobarrel.com
- Examiner.com
All these sites are free to join and they'll pay you to write for them. Mostly they pay by the amount of views you receive. Anywhere from .50 cents to $10 per thousand views. Personally, I write for Allvoices, and have for about a month. Check out the sites and see which one you like the best. A little research about them will help you know if they are worth putting effort into. These are all legitimate sites though where there is potential to make even full-time wages after time.
There are also sites where you can do assignments and/or put your writings on their site, letting them sell it. These sites don't publish themselves, but your work goes out to different places to be published. 
They pay one time payments which are anywhere from $3-$100 per piece. 
- Odesk
- Constant Current
- Text Broker
- Demand Studios
- Writers Access
- Content Authority
- Constant Content
- Elance
- Noozdesk
These sites aren't as much for news (except noozdesk), but website content and professional writings. Usually you'll have to apply to work there, then apply for assignments that are available. These work for many people, but you'll sometimes have to give up all rights to your work.
Then there are sites which are a mix of the two, sites in which you can write news, short stories, how-too, opinion pieces and creative writings. These sites pay in different ways including: ad revenue shares, performance pay (pay per view), and up-front payments for assignments. These sites can make you money long after you publish them depending on the views it gets over time. These include:
- Yahoo!Contributors
- Squidoo
- Hubpages
- Zujava
- Bubblews
- Xomba
- Wikinut
- Wizzley
These sites are great places to write on specific niche topics, but also anything else yu can think of.
Personally, I write for five different outlets: Allvoices, Bubblews, Squidoo, Hubpages and Textbrokers. This gives me places to put all my ideas; they all have their own unique attributes. With sites like Allvoices and Bubblews I can publish right after I write them. With Squidoo and Hubpages it depends on if there is something that needs to be fixed, usually within a day will be published.
I haven't been impressed with the views at Squidoo, I really enjoy making the lenses (pages) but traffic is paltry. Also my rankings, which I get paid by partly, are getting worse and worse every day. I might stop putting effort there, and put it elsewhere. Maybe you'll have better traffic?
I wanted to give this information to help you in your search, to guide you through this maze. My final thoughts here though are the most important.
 Don't lose your integrity as a writer, conforming to what is seemingly going to make you successful writing on the net. In the end you'll find you may make more money (maybe), but your unique ability is drained. Then you'll just have to follow the crowd and your writings will have little purpose besides making some money – this isn't worth your integrity.
 This will be tempting as you are navigating this maze. Personally, I have been consumed by the initial phase of this venture and had to pull myself back from being sucked into the vortex. For me, I want to serve my Lord Jesus Christ ultimately.
 This means I want to help people with my writings come to the truth about the world we live in. Knowledge is power. As for this article, I wanted to give you some insight; hope it helped. God Bless.

Comments

Follow AWR on Substack